bulletproofheeb

bulletproofheeb

Doubt: A History: The Great Doubters and Their Legacy of Innovation from Socrates and Jesus to Thomas Jefferson and Emily Dickinson
Jennifer Michael Hecht
Philosophical Tales: Being an Alternative History Revealing the Characters, the Plots, and the Hidden Scenes That Make Up the True Story of Philosophy
Martin Cohen, Raul Gonzalez III
Schottenfreude: German Words for the Human Condition
Ben Schott
The Best American Short Plays 2010-2011

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution - Richard Dawkins I liked this book well enough but it was a bit of a disappointment. Let me clarify: I was hoping for something a bit more in depth in terms of the actual process of evolution. To be fair I do have a background in evolution and ecology. However, I did figure that since he was writing an entire book on evolution that it would delve deeper than his text actually does.What is in the book is great. The examples really illustrate all the points he makes and one of his big arguments, that I feel he does back up, is that fossil records are a nice reference for evolution but are by no means the strongest evidence humans have for it.While he does state early on that this is a purely evolution oriented book and will not touch on the topic of belief he does directly address the problem of creationists, which he refers to as 'history deniers'. This, of course, very nearly becomes a debate about belief many times. Dawkins does do a good job at steering it back to evolution not by avoiding topics but by addressing what we do know rather than what we can't know.This is a good book for lay people to learn about what evolution and natural selection (it is NOT "survival of this fittest", it is much richer than that). It's a good book for people pretty familiar with evolution to bone up on examples. It's not that great for people with a background in the subject looking for a deep analysis of natural selection. For the last group this is mostly going to be a refresher of what you already know.